Friday, July 9, 2010

No big deal

Okay, it shouldn't be a big deal.

But yesterday, after several days of a sensitive tooth, a dull ache in the back of my mouth and a headache, I went to the dentist.

Yes, indeed, the x-ray showed a bad tooth. A lower right molar.

We discussed and weighed the options of a root canal versus an extraction. It sounded as if taking a chance that the root canal would save the tooth was "iffy."

So the tooth came out. Quite easily, actually.

Looking at the tooth confirmed the right decision was made. It could not have been saved.

So then why do I feel so sad? It's just a tooth, right? No big deal. Not like an arm or a leg, or your eyesight or hearing.

But a tooth is a part of your anatomy. I got to thinking how long that molar has been there and how it has served me and contributed to my overall health and well-being.

Last night on the local news was a report of a 333-year old oak tree in Minneapolis that had to come down as it had been slowly dying and failing to produce new leaves for the past several spring seasons. People are coming from all over, beyond the local neighborhood, to pay tribute to it for providing shade and beauty, and for surviving the elements for over three hundred years.

I think all of life, and all parts of living things, are a wonder. And a big deal.