Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cranberry Tree responds

I heard from a reader who noted I neglected to provide the recipe for the orange bread. So this is for Stephanie:

Orange Bread
Dice 1 cup of orange peel. Cover with water and boil until tender. Add 1 cup sugar and boil gently until syrupy. (This mixture can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator.)

Mix together:
1-1/2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons shortening
2 cups milk
4 cups flour
4 teaspons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg

Place into two loaf pans. Let sit for 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
~~~~

While I'm at it, I heard from my friend, Mary, who responded to the Growing like weeds post.

She uses fresh mint all summer, crushing it into tea, ice tea or lemonade. She makes sun tea just using mint leaves and water and steeping it on the deck for 3 or 4 hours in the sun.

Keep those cards and letters coming, folks.