Monday, June 7, 2010

I have a job

That didn't take long, did it?

One visit to the Chisago Lakes Area library and a brief chat with Carla, the librarian, and the deal was cinched. I am now the "Used Book Coordinator" (a title I gave myself).

My duties entail reviewing all donated used books for condition and appropriateness, categorizing and shelving them in a room for this purpose in the library office, deciding which books to display for sale in the library (a function of the Friends of the Library with proceeds benefiting the local library) and which books to transfer to Family Pathways (to sell in their used book store, proceeds benefiting community members in need), and which books should simply be discarded. Can you just sense the power in all this decision-making?

This opportunity appealed to me for several reasons: (1) it is a big project, has been neglected and is very disorganized (yes, that appeals to me); (2) I can pretty much do what I want with it; (3) I can work whenever I choose, with no schedule; (4) my organizational skills and neurotic tendencies might just be appreciated here; and (5) best of all, I get first dibs on buying the donated books that come in.

So last week I reported to work. This is what the room looked like when I walked in:


Quite a mess, huh? Just let me at it!