Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Darn

Last night I threw away yet another sock with a hole in the toe. This has recently become at least a once-weekly occurrence, indicating the age of my socks and that perhaps I should think about a trip to Target to replace them.

Or perhaps I should be darning them.

I think darning socks ended with our generation. It's something the present generation may never have even heard of. Remember the wooden darning egg? The one you placed inside your sock to hold it taut while you carefully wove matching threads back and forth to cover the hole (usually in the heel)?

I have never actually done this myself, but I have watched my Grandma and my Mom do it. Of course, that was back in time, when it was just one of the many things involved in their main occupation as homemaker. That, too, is almost a thing of the past.

Well, anyway, I'm off to Target to buy socks.