Friday, January 21, 2011

Who's impatient?

The other day, I was mentioning all the things I wanted to do to redecorate our new Arizona home.

Everything is in good condition, but is very outdated. The living room carpeting is turquoise, the curtains are light blue and pink, the recliner is aqua, and, showing signs of wear, they need to be replaced. The walls need painting, as walls do every few years.

My husband heard my litany as I listed off all the changes.

Oh yes, I continued, we new new floor heat vent covers, the master bedroom needs painting, and we either need new floor lamps, or we need to paint the existing ones, and we need new lampshades to replace the worn ones. And new cabinet hardware.

Would you believe he actually accused me of being impatient? Me??? Impatient???

Okay, I conceded and 'fessed up. Yes, I said, you know me well. And I agreed to slow down and wait to do things one at a time. Little by little. I'm just happy to be here, I humbly proclaimed, and yes, we don't have to do everything right now. I even went out on a limb and agreed we could hold off on most things until next year. (That was really a stretch.)

Yesterday, the new couch we ordered a month ago was delivered. We're pleased with it and stood back to admire it, when all of a sudden, my husband announced we need new carpeting. And declared that first thing in the morning, we were going shopping.

And, of course, then the drapes won't match, so we need those as well. (Never mind that I had warned him that light blue and pink curtains wouldn't match anything.)

And before we put in new carpeting and drapes, we need to paint the walls, he went on to expound, as if it just occurred to him.

I just smiled and said, gee, honey, you're appearing awfully impatient about all this. What is the sudden rush?

He mumbled something to the effect that I was right, and off we went this morning, bringing home paint and carpet samples to study.

Is it okay if I gloat just a wee bit?