Monday, August 15, 2011

Bowtie chicken cranberry salad


Chicken Cranberry Salad

Following my last post, I received requests for the chicken salad made for my Book Group luncheon gathering at my house.

This picture was taken after the group left and shows only the remains of the salad. The bowl was heaping as this recipe makes a large amount.
Bowtie Chicken Cranberry Salad
3# bag of frozen chicken breasts - bake on cookie sheet and allow to cool; then cut into pieces or shred.
1 package (16-oz) bowtie pasta - cook, drain, toss with a drizzle of olive oil
Combine pasta, chicken, and the following:
1 cup chopped pecans or toasted walnuts
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper (I use lemon pepper)
1 package (5-ounces or more) Craisins
3/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped red onion (adjust amount to your taste)
Prepare the dressing:
2-1/4 cup (or 22-oz. jar) mayonnaise (I use part Miracle Whip)
1/4 cup vinegar
2/3 cup (or to taste) sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons poppyseeds (I use a bit more)
Combine all and toss gently. Chill before serving.
I made the salad the day before, and served it with brandied cranberries, homemade Grainery pickles, freshly baked dinner rolls, strawberry-infused lemonade, and sugar cookies.

Bon apetit!