Monday, March 21, 2011

Rainy days and Mondays

The Carpenter's sang this song, I'm guessing around the mid-1970s:  "Rainy days and Mondays always get me down."

Well, it's raining in Mesa, Arizona, on this Monday.  Windy and cold, too, for Mesa.

But it doesn't get me down.  In fact, I am grateful.  I needed a rainy day to stay put in one place and get some work done.

So, watching last night's weather report and anticipating such a day, I made a list of things I hoped to accomplish.
Do the laundry. File our annual tax returns. Catch up with some correspondence. Schedule my dentist appointment. Call several insurance agencies to compare rates. Write my monthly column for our church newsletter.
Rainy days are good for getting caught up with such pesky chores. I can usually think of a thousand reasons to put them off on nice-weather days. My favorite reason is that "it's just too nice" outside to be indoors tackling paperwork.

I started the day late, as the sound of the rain on the roof kept lulling me back to sleep.  Then, when I finally got out of bed, my husband informed me some vacationing friends from Minnesota called and were coming for coffee. It was good to see them and we had a nice visit.

But then it was lunchtime. I started the first load of laundry and made grilled cheese sandwiches.  Then I decided to buckle down and tackle my list.

Let's see, it's now 2:30. I've talked to a friend on the phone, skimmed through a magazine, clipped a recipe that sounded good for dinner, knit several rows of a ribbon scarf for my granddaughter's birthday next week, read my e-mail messages, and ordered a book online.

My paperwork pile sits in front of me. Right next to my list. But I'm no longer in the mood for it.

I think I need another rainy day.