Monday, November 8, 2010

Tutorial: Graham crackers

My friend, Barb (remember her from "Making potato soup?") made homemade graham crackers.

That fascinated me. I thought they came
in a box and never even guessed at how
they might be made.

The same was true for English muffins.
But long ago, my sister, Christine, made them and gave me the recipe. Naturally, I had to try them. They are very easy.

As are graham crackers.

So let's get started and I'll teach you how to make them. You'll never buy another box in the grocery store.

You will need:


2 cups white flour
1/2 cup graham flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp. baking soda
A sprinkle of salt

Stir all ingredients together. I used my stand mixer, but you can just use a spoon or wooden paddle.


Roll out on a cookie sheet. You can make them as thin or thick as you like and can press to reach the edges of the cookie sheet.


With a sharp knife, mark squares and prick with a fork. Bake 8 minutes in a 350 degree oven.


After removing from the oven, make your lines again.


Let cool in pan. You did it!

Now get a fresh cup of coffee or a glass of ice cold milk.


And enjoy!