Saturday, June 11, 2011

Rhubarb a-plenty

No, not on my grandparents farm this time. 

Right here in our own back yard garden, we have the most abundant patch of rhubarb I think we've ever had.  And we love it.


Rhubarb is so versatile. From bread, to muffins, to pies, to custard, to cake, to sauce, it can be used many ways.

My neighbor gave me what I think is the best rhubarb cake recipe ever. So I thought I'd share it with you:
Rhubarb Cake

1/2 cup butter (softened)
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup sour milk (add 1 tbsp. vinegar to a cup of milk, let stand 1 hour)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups rhubarb, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Cream the butter and sugar. Add egg, milk, flour, soda, salt, and vanilla. Fold in the rhubarb. Pour batter in a 9-by-13-inch cake pan. You may sprinkle over the batter: 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.


I made half of the recipe into muffins and the other half into this cake, baked in a deep-dish quiche pan. I sprinkled raw sugar (my favorite), mixed with a bit of cinnamon on top.

Mmmmm. On a cool, crisp day as it is here today, this is warming my kitchen and delighting us with a wonderful aroma.

Now we're going shopping for a foodsaver so I can vacuum-pack this wonderful rhubarb and keep it fresh in the freezer.

Another cake, another day.